Located fourteen miles off of the coast of Ventura, Anacapa Island is actually made up of three islets; East Anacapa, Middle Anacapa, and West Anacapa, containing in all about 700 acres. Being mostly volcanic in origin, the island is thought to have been brought out of the ocean by fault activity. The smallest of the three islets, East Anacapa is a mesa made up of approximately 100 acres which lies about 200 feet above sea level. The second largest of the islets; Middle Anacapa, is approximately three miles long, 1/8 of a mile wide, and contains many small beaches on it's south side which are only approachable by boat. The largest of the islets; West Anacapa, is the most diverse of the three, with visitation limited to the tide pool areas and Frenchy's Cove because of sea bird and pelican nesting. Two shipwrecks can also be seen on the island, the Equator wreck near the East Fish Camp on the south side of Middle Anacapa, and the notable Winfield Scott on the north side of Middle Anacapa. Chumash habitation on Anacapa was only seasonal due to the lack of a permanent water source, and only temporary fishing camps with some scattered artifacts and burials have been found. The island's name comes from the Chumash name for the island; "Eneepah", meaning island of mirage or deception. The English Explorer Vancouver spelled the three islands "Enecapa" on his maps in the late 1700's, and afterwards, the 19th century map maker Gibbs, called it "Encapa". The present name of Anacapa was set down in the charts of the U.S. Coast Survey in 1852.